Moving to a new home can be exciting, but it can also be overwhelming. There is so much to do and plan for, and it can be easy to overlook important details. To help make your residential move as smooth as possible, we’ve put together a list of our top 10 moving tips.
- Start packing early. Don’t wait until the last minute to start packing. Start packing non-essential items as soon as you know you’ll be moving. This will not only make the packing process less stressful, but it will also give you more time to properly label and organize your boxes.
- Create a packing schedule. Make a list of everything you need to pack and prioritize items by how often you use them. This will help you stay organized and ensure that you don’t forget anything important.
- Use the right packing materials. Using the right packing materials can make a big difference in how well your belongings survive the move. Invest in high-quality boxes, bubble wrap, and packing paper to protect your items during transport.
- Label your boxes. Proper labeling is key to a smooth move. Make sure to clearly label each box with its contents and the room it belongs in. This will make it easier to unpack and get settled in your new home.
- Take an inventory. Create a list of all your belongings and take photos of any valuable or sentimental items. This will not only help you keep track of your belongings, but it will also come in handy for insurance purposes.
- Purge and donate. Moving is a great opportunity to declutter and get rid of items you no longer need or want. Donating these items to a local charity or thrift store not only helps reduce the amount of stuff you have to move, but it also benefits your community.
- Get help. Moving can be physically demanding, so don’t be afraid to ask for help. Enlist the help of friends and family, or consider hiring professional movers to take care of the heavy lifting.
- Change your address. Don’t forget to change your address with the post office, your bank, and other important organizations. You can do this online or by filling out a change of address form at the post office.
- Transfer utilities. Make sure to transfer your utilities to your new home and set up any new services you may need. It’s also a good idea to disconnect your current utilities a day or two after you move out to avoid any unnecessary charges.
- Take care of yourself. Moving can be stressful, so make sure to take care of yourself during the process. Eat well, stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest.
We hope these tips help make your residential move a success. If you’re looking for professional help with your move, be sure to contact MTLI. Our team of experienced movers is here to make your residential move as smooth and stress-free as possible.